Citizens' Oversight Committee Member Application and Information web page
THE APPLICATION DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR TWO COC VACANCIES WAS CLOSED AT 4:30 PM ON MAY 29, 2019.
Citizens' Oversight Committee Members
Initial COC member recommendations were ratified by the Board of Trustees on Thursday, February 23, 2017. The appointees will serve a two-year term, without compensation, effective February 23, 2017. Vacancies and termed out seats are filled as needed.
COC Category & Member Name
- Business Organization, Kim Joseph Cousins
- Senior Citizen's Organization, Kevin Pape
- Taxpayer Organization, Judy Guglielmana
- Parent or Guardian, Mike Norkin
- Parent or Guardian, Ronald Naulls
- Parent-Guardian/PTA-Site Council, Abigale Bollerer
- At-Large, Nestora Ann Santos
- At-Large, Jeff George
- At-Large, Daniel E. Baldwin
Who Can Serve on the Citizens' Oversight Committee
Composition. Each Oversight Committee shall initially consist of a minimum of eleven (11) members, and at no time will consist of less than eleven (11) members, subject to the provisions of section 4.0 and 7.0(d) and any vacancies which may occur. Each Oversight Committee may not include as a member any employee or official of the District, or any vendor, contractor or consultant of the District. Each Oversight Committee shall include among its members all of the following:
- One (1) member who is active in a business organization representing the business community located within the District;
One (1) member who is active in a senior citizen’s organization;
One (1) member who is active in a bona fide taxpayer association;
Two (2) members shall be the parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the District; and
Two (2) members shall be both a parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the District and active in a parent-teacher organization, such as a parent-teacher association or school site council.
Four (4) members shall be "at-large representatives" who reside within the boundaries of the Lake Elsinore Unified School District.
In addition to these statutory membership requirements, the Board of Trustees of the District has made a commitment to help ensure that a majority of the members of each such Committee have, to the extent possible, knowledge and experience in the fields of construction, architecture design, public financing, contract law and/or building program management.
Five of each Oversight Committee members must satisfy requirements 1-5 above. One member may represent more than one of the five groups, so long as the remaining four members individually satisfy the remaining four groups. In making the appointments of the remaining and additional Oversight Committee members, the Board may, in its discretion, consider the various factors set forth in Policy and Regulations Section 7.0(d). The Board may remove an Oversight Committee member during his or her tenure consistent with the provisions of applicable law.
See also Bylaws, Policies and Regulations Web page for additional duties.
Term of Office
Members will each serve for a term of two (2) years without compensation, and for no more than two (2) consecutive terms.
Appointment and Vacancies
Appointments. The initial members of the Measure V Citizens' Oversight Committee shall be appointed by the Board not more than sixty (60) days after the Board's certification of the corresponding Election results as required by Law.
- Appointments shall be discussed and made in open session in accordance with Government Code Section 54957.
- The Board will solicit applications for appointment to an Oversight Committee and may require candidates for membership to submit information on a stated form (available for download below).
- The Board has authorized the Superintendent, or the Superintendent's designee(s), to advertise for and solicit candidates for consideration of appointment to the initial Committee, to review applications submitted to the District and make recommendations to the Board to assist in appointing Oversight Committee members.
Determination of Vacancy. The Board may determine that an Oversight Committee member's seat has become vacant under any of the following circumstances:
- Resignation of that Oversight Committee member submitted in writing to the District and/or to the Board (which shall be effective upon its receipt by the Board or other date set forth in such written resignation, if applicable);
- Death, or a legal determination of the incapacity, of that Oversight Committee member;
- Conviction of a violation of Government code Section 1090 et. seq. or other applicable conflict of interest laws (see Regulations Section 8.3);
- Conviction of any crime resulting in imprisonment; or
- As may otherwise be prescribed or required by law.
The power to make determinations as to vacancies on each Oversight Committee is expressly reserved to the Board.
- The Board may appoint a replacement to serve for the remainder of the unexpired term of the vacating member, or to serve for an initial two year term...;
- Following the determination of the vacancy, the Board shall follow the procedures (Regulations Section 7.0) to fill such vacancy within a reasonable period of time...The power to fill vacancies is expressly reserved for the Board.