Overview of the Citizens' Oversight Committee Bylaws, Policies and Regulations...download and view Exhibit A in its entirety at right.
Establishment of the Citizens' Oversight Committee (COC)
The establishment and operation of the COC derives from LEUSD Resolution 2016-17-035 and Exhibit 'A' with amendments, that was approved by the Board of Trustees at their regular meeting on December 8, 2016. View or download complete COC governance and policy documents at right.
Purpose of the Citizens' Oversight Committee
The purpose of of the independent Measure V Citizens' Oversight Committee is to actively review and inform the public regarding the expenditure of bond proceeds from Measure V proposed and approved by the voters pursuant to Proposition 39; the Citizens' Oversight Committee is convened for specific purposes limited to providing oversight for such bond proceeds expenditures, including providing oversight for the following:
- To ensure that Proposition 39 bond proceeds are expended only for the purposes described in paragraph (3) of subdivsion (b) of Section 1 of Article XIIIA of the California Constitution, as set forth in Section V and IX of the Policy and Regulations, and
- To ensure that no Proposition 39 bond proceeds are used for an teacher or non-construction related administrative salaries or other school operating expenses.
Membership on the Citizens' Oversight Committee
The Governing Board will periodically seek qualified, interested individuals to serve on the Citizens' Oversight Committee. Up to eleven members shall be Board appointed after completing an application process established by the Governing Board. Learn more about committee member applications, appointments, and duties on the COC Member Application web page.
To ensure oversight and transparency with regard to Measure V bonds, Measure V program and plans, use of bond proceeds, and related reporting requirements, the COC will:
- Ensure to the Board of Trustees, the Superintendent and the general public that Measure V ballot language and plans are followed;
- Review and comment to the Board of Trustees regarding the Measure V audit and performance;
- Report and comment to the Board of Trustees regarding the Measure V Bond Program and construction reports provided by the Superintendent or designee(s);
- Submit accountability updates and reports to the Board of Trustees;
- Review and comment on various aspects of the Measure V Bond Program as required by the Board of Trustees or the Superintendent.