Lake Elsinore Unified School District

Skip to main content
En Español
English Learner Program (EL) » Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

When you enrolled your child in one of our schools, you indicated on the Home Language Survey that a language other than English is spoken in your home.  We are required by law to administer the English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) to students who have a language other than English, based on their Home Language Survey. (See the section on “Initial Identification.”)

We recommend that you speak the language you speak best.  Children need to hear language used proficiently for a variety of purposes.  Of course, you are welcome to speak more than one language in your home – children CAN tell the difference between the two languages.  We want students who are bilingual (speak and understand two – or more – languages) and biliterate (read and write in two – or more – languages).  Therefore, we recommend that you continue using your home language and encourage your children to continue to develop proficiency in both languages.  Any support you provide in your home language will actually assist your children in learning English because language skills transfer from one language to another.

Yes.  We offer free English as a Second Language (ESL) classes at a variety of levels through our district Adult Education Program.  There are also a variety of enrichment classes offered through our Adult Education Program, generally for a small fee.

Students are placed in the grade that is appropriate for their age.

No.  All services provided to students through any program during the regular school day (English learner program services, regular education program services, and special education program services) are provided for free.  Of course, there may be fees for school-sponsored programs outside of the regular school day (sports programs, after-school enrichment classes, etc.).

Students are assigned to a particular school based on where they live. An intradistrict transfer may be requested to attend another LEUSD school which offers programs or services not available at your child's school of residence. Contact the Child Welfare and Attendance department for intradistrict transfer information.